ABOUT THE CENTRE FOR STORIES
The Centre for Stories is an exciting new initiative to foster Western Australian stories in the heart of Perth. We are a social enterprise providing programs to encourage the sharing of stories in Australia and beyond. The Centre for Stories' goal is to provide people of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to tell, share and preserve the stories of our lives. We do this to remind one another of our shared humanity, to strengthen and build the connections between people, to teach the value of listening, and to weave into the fabric of our culture the understanding that everyone’s story matters.
The Centre collects and preserves stories in written, video and oral formats on behalf of art and cultural institutions and not-for-profit organisations, and holds regular events across three streams that support our key objectives: storytelling, story writing, story collecting.
The Centre for Stories is located at 100 Aberdeen Street, Northbridge.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Centre for Stories is introducing an internship program to allow current university students and recent graduates the opportunity to experience working for a small social enterprise.
We welcome interns with a background and/or interest in the following areas: media and communications, public relations, journalism, events and administration, and non-profit management.
Our interns will enjoy real involvement with the daily operations of a social enterprise and will work closely with the General Manager. During the internship, the scope of tasks and responsibilities may involve, but is not restricted to, the following:
· Assisting with the management of the website and social media accounts i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
· Assisting with the planning, scheduling and implementation of events at the Centre for Stories
· Keeping minutes and attending meetings with partner organisations and external stakeholders
· General administrative tasks such as responding to venue and web enquiries, drafting of documents and event briefs, etc.
· Assisting the General Manager with any other tasks that may arise
The duration of the internship is negotiable but interns will ideally be able to commit to at least 2 days a week at the Centre for Stories office in Northbridge.
Please note that this is an unpaid internship but interns will receive a formal reference upon the completion of the program and university internship subject requirements will be signed off if applicable. There may also be opportunities to attend various industry events during the internship.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
At the completion of the program, interns will gain a deeper understanding of their discipline within the context of a small social enterprise.
Specifically, interns will learn how to:
· Create a long-term social media plan and marketing calendar
· Build relationships with the Centre’s online community by maintaining Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social media accounts
· Conduct research on potential donors, strategic partners, markets and industries
· Prepare reports and presentations for internal and external use
· Assist in planning events and other activities
· Assist with mailings, filing, and special projects as needed
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Successful applicants must:
· Have a background in media and communications, public relations, journalism, event and administration, not-for-profit management or other related discipline
· Possess strong communication skills
· Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
· Be organised, with an ability to prioritise time-sensitive assignments
· Be creative and flexible
· Be a socially conscious individual with an interest in non-profit management and community development
· Familiarity with social networking sites is desirable but training can also be provided
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for an internship with the Centre for Stories, please send through your resume along with a brief cover letter introducing yourself and why you are interested in this opportunity. Please also include your availability for the internship.
- COMPANY NAME – The Centre for Stories
- CONTACT NAME – Ada Chung
- CONTACT EMAIL – firstname.lastname@example.org