Book clubs and groups
The Centre for Stories has a number of book clubs and groups who use the Centre on a regular basis for their ongoing activities. Below is a list of our current ongoing groups.
- PEN Perth is a group of West Australian writers who are currently re-opening the Perth branch of PEN. PEN is a non-profit network that seeks to protect the rights of writers and work to safeguard freedom of expression.
- Fem Book Club is an introduction to a diverse range of novels by women about women. Through informal conversation about each text the Fem Book Club focuses on the manifold experiences of being a woman through different moments in history and across varying communities. It is an opportunity to think about and challenge what it means to be a woman and perhaps undermine any assumed universal experience by looking at how people of colour, transgender and non-binary identifying writers, or those who suffer with mental health issues have vastly different experiences of ‘feminism’ or what it is to be a ‘woman'. Fem Book Club meets once a month... usually the first Wednesday of the month.
- Teen Book Club is a book club for teens! Our Teen Book Club is hosted by Nadia L King author of YA novel Jenna's Truth. It occurs on the last Friday of every month, and is a safe place for teens who are interested in thinking about stories and books. Also, there are snacks! A great way to start the weekend.
- Write Night is for writers who may be struggling to carve out distraction free writing time, or who are looking for a safe group environment to work on your work in progress, or who would simply like to meet other writers in their community. Write Night is every second Tuesday at the Centre.
- Poetry Workshop is a safe and dynamic meeting where you can craft your poetry and offer feedback to other poets.